Friday, September 19, 2008

Overwhelmed

I read a great article in Cookie magazine about a parent who talked about being overwhelmed by all the stuff the school threw at parents early in the year. Stuff like fund raising and volunteering for field trips before the kids could remember where they sat in class each day.
Boy started his new preschool this month and I found a couple broadsheets from Scholastic book services waiting. I remember those from when I was a kid and loved them. Boy I think is too young to get into them or care about them. I probably will order a couple of books for him to try to get into. There a couple of fund raisers in the offing that we'd been warned about so I'm just waiting for it all to begin.
A good friend sent me an email soliciting my purchases for his son's school. He emailed to apologize to me that it was being sent out on the first day of school and they were getting high pressure already to make sure that their child sold a lot. First prize is a weekend at a local resort that he said was marginal at best. He'd rather the money go back to the school. I bought two magazine subscriptions to magazines I buy at the grocery store anyhow.
It's not just school that seems to feel the need to pressure you to participate. I belong to a Mother's Club and there was a fundraiser this summer that they asked people to participate in. My plan was to drop off some things for it but I couldn't get Husband to buy in and help me with assembling everything so the event passed us by. I didn't volunteer to staff the event because we had plans for the weekend that precluded my actually being able to get involved.
Come Monday morning, an email went out that praised lavishly all that had been involved and a not-so-subtle slap at those of us who didn't do anything. How wonderful those who were willing to go out of their way to help with the fundraiser and how these are such terrific human beings (the allusion that those of us who might have other things going on was that we might be less than delightful people). The lovefest continued for a few days then faded like a red dress in the Mojave desert in July.
The Mother's Club has emails that go out a few times a week from various members about how they want donations to the charities they work for or with or how we should be buying tickets for dinner dances or raffles or plays that will benefit this or that. And some times, there is a follow up that chides us for not buying the $30, $45, $50 or more dollar ticket. Or sending that check in to help a family in dire straights during the holidays.
Coupled with the never ending phone calls from the charities that I some times feel were a mistake to give to in the first place that want me to help them during this dire crisis of the week it seems that the whole world is filled with beggars with their palms outstretched. Give, give, give. We need it more than you possibly can use it. The oceans are dying! Children in this impoverished nation will die if you don't help us! Education is suffering because of the Governator! Your son's favourite PBS shows will disappear because we are spending a fortune on anything but quality programming on PBS channels!
So where do we draw the line? Every time I have to answer to phone to silence it so it doesn't waken Boy in midnap, I'm confronted by a telemarketer who knows my name since I gave to the charity before who doesn't take my polite, no, I can't as an answer. I know their job is to tap me for as much as they can. And yes, I do feel bad when it's the beneviolent order of widows and children of fallen officers but it's hard to deal with when they say they are sending me stuff because they know I'll kick down $100 or $50 or $25 or $10 for the packet they send.
Economic times are hard all over the US. A good friend confided that her husband lost his job during a takeover and now they need to figure out how to survive on their savings until he finds work again. (Before someone says pithily that she should go back to work, some families have chosen that childcare be given to one member of the family and the other gets the joy of escaping their kid(s) for the joys of a job) We are economizing because Husband has decided we spend too much money (translated: I spend too much money on trivial things like food, Boy's clothes, things on sale that would make great gifts for people down the road etc but neglecting to remember how he spent $250 on some little thing that he played with once then put in the closet because it wasn't what he thought it would be. Again). My grand 'allowance' each week is roughly a quarter to a third of what I was spending before. Husband has said I should "think" about what I'm buying and whether we really need it. I felt like asking him if we really needed to get another tech gadget when he went to Fry's last weekend but I refrained. Instead, I simply withdrew a smaller amount of money than I would usually spend each week and that is all I will spend each week. When the money is gone, the money is gone.
It works pretty well. Husband has said I can use more if I need it and I've told him that with Boy's birthday party and his parents' visiting, I will need to extra money to buy his parents' favourite drinks and lunch items as well as the dinners that I will have to create for them. The cold fish stare followed by a comment that his parents didn't need the amount of drinks that I was buying since they didn't drink all that (Husband isn't home most of his parents' visit so he has no idea how much or how little his parents' consume) and did I really need to buy drinks for the party? Couldn't everyone just have water, juice and milk? What we have in the fridge?
The fact that we have nearly 25 people coming over with different needs makes it tough for me to get through to Husband that no, three of the kids are lactose intolerent and two of the kids can't have juice after noon and if we are having burgers and dogs, we should have have condiments and chips to go with them....
Money is an issue. So why do we have to be guilted into spending money on other people who don't have much either?

No comments: